Thursday, April 28, 2011

Out and About

We were in Ray County, Missouri, this weekend and stumbled upon another cemetery. We spotted it from the road through the trees, and the very next gravel road led right to it! We discovered it to be the "Lewis Cemetery," privately owned. I believe this cemetery has been in use longer than any I've visited outside Virginia. It was a beautiful day, and made scampering about very inviting!


 We climbed the stairs (at our own risk!) to see an amazing vista of farmland. I took pictures of several headstones. Here is a sampling of what is there:

John G. Lewis; Clarisa Tarwater, Denzil E. Tarwater, Blanche Tarwater, James M. Tarwater; Nancy Bellis; Baby Stevens
You can find a transcription of the cemetery here. There is a listing of burials at Find-A-Grave, where I will be uploading any pictures I took that are not already submitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment